
Watching "I am Because We Are", a documentary by Madonna about Malawi has made me think a lot about the problems in Africa and what we should do as a country to help. I am a libertarian, and not one to support government supported social programs. I watch these kind of shows or hear my liberal friends talk about the poor, the needy, the "underprivileged" (a terminology I will get back to on a later blog topic) and I find I rarely agree with the solutions proposed. I think we all agree the people need help. Malawi is the second poorest country in the world. Most of the citizens are orphans, under the age of 15, and are victims of the AIDS epidemic. It is sad to hear about all the problems this area experiences. Besides poverty and hunger, they suffer from malaria and other common diseases that are killing people just because the children play in sewage and don't know any better.
I heard many people narrating this documentary stating that the people had a fundamental right to the AIDS medication to keep them alive. If there are 25 million people who all need this medication, and that is just scratching the surface of what is needed, so we accept the responsibility of providing that medication, and all the other needs? Because if we decide to take on that responsibility it doesn't make sense that we wouldn't take on the other needs. And what about the other countries that are in need in the same way? And if we do accept the responsibility, what form does that take? Do we demand that the federal governments do something? Make them tax everyone? Tax the rich especially because they have the most and are the most "privileged"? I say no. My liberal friends...I hear them say yes, loud and clear. I don't see how we can afford it frankly. Not now, and not before our economic crisis that put is back trillions of dollars.
However I do think if we look at it a little differently (like I do) something can be done. I viewed this hour and a half film and really felt bad for these people. I wanted to do something. I know that the government throwing money at a problem doesn't fix it but I'm not Madonna and I can't adopt a Malawian child or start up an orphanage or go visit the country. So for me, writing a check to www.iambecauseweare.com or www.raisingmalawi.com might be best. It'll Probably will go to an orphanage or something.
Also reasons our federal governments should stay out: The government of Malawi doesn't believe in educating it's people about safe sex or how the disease is spread. It's considered taboo. So these people are having sex and spreading it all over the place and don't even realizing it. One case they had on the documentary was a very young mother buried her child and the tribe leader made her have sex with some random man to clean her. She didn't want to but he insisted it was tradition, and had been done for 1000's of years. I can respect tradition, but come on. They had to do it 3x the first day. Oh yeah he's married to some other woman. And nobody in the village could have sex until she got clean. Once this ordeal was over she could go back to being normal. The village leader admitted this spreads AIDS but said it was tradition. This is awful. I think some private groups/charities should go in there and set up something that empowers women. Educates them. Puts a stop to that nonsense.
So to sum up my opinion, I think private organizations and individuals should rally together and donate, build schools, hospitals, modernize the community, empower women, educate the children, educate the community about safe sex, and leave the government out of it (except for the funding they provide). If you so nothing privately except cast the vote for the government to do it for you, it won't get done.
Don’t get me wrong, I do care about what happens in the other parts of the world, but shoot me if I believe that what happens here is or should be MORE important to us. I think it’s pitiful that our Presidents, Congress and other positions in government care more about what happens in other parts of the world than what happens in their own borders! Right now is not the time to spend money overseas (during a war or for anything else) until we get out of this economic slump that we have so ignorantly created for ourselves.
ReplyDeleteI don’t know and don’t have the answer for how to save these people. Their situation is horrific and I feel sorry for all the children. I’ve read stories about weird traditions that make no sense and all these years later, these people are still doing these uninformed acts just for the sake of “tradition”. It’s not right, but should America go pointing their noses in some other countries business? I don’t see any country coming here and dropping food during the time when New Orleans was looking like a Third World country.
I’m such a skeptic and I’m not sure if giving a check to these organizations will actually make it to where we think it will or where they are claiming it will go. I always think someone is trying to pull the wool over my eyes just to get something out of me.
I don’t know Schmols, maybe I should’ve written on here when I was having a better day. I’m not usually so grim and moody…
I've had many conversations with friends about the role of government, and I continue to revise and redefine what I believe to be the role of our elected officials. I believe that the government exists to declare and defend what we, as a group of people living within the American borders, believe. While we can't pretend to ever represent the whole of the group, we have chosen a democratic system where we identify the beliefs of a majority (of voters at least) to uphold.
ReplyDeleteThe government is a representation of the people, it speaks for the people and sends a message to the rest of the world declaring who we are and what we believe.
Now for the tough part... with limited resources, how do we show the world who we are and what we believe? Where do we concentrate our efforts? Because as we all know, by saying yes to someone/thing, we are saying no to someone/thing else.
Just a thought, what if a portion of our taxes went to non-profit charitable organizations, focused on issues of humanity, both locally and in other countries? The government would then simply be a collector of funds and not responsible for the use (or misuse). Would that be more appealing to those who believe the government should not be involved in humanitarian efforts?
BTW, I am glad to see that you have started your own blog Holly. I am very intrigued by your thoughts and ideas. I can't wait to read your blog on "privilege." :)
ReplyDelete